A handicraft, sometimes more precisely expressed as artisanal handicraft or handmade, is any of a wide variety of types of work where useful and decorative objects are made completely by hand or by using only simple tools.Traditional main sector of craft its applied to a wide range of creative and design activities that are related to making things with one’s hands and skill, including work with textiles, soft and rigid materials, paper, plant fibers, etc. Usually the term is applied to traditional techniques of creating items (whether for personal use or as products) that are both practical and aesthetic.
The Arts and Crafts movement originated as a late 19th-century design reform and social movement principally in Europe, North America and Australia, and continues today. Its proponents are motivated by the ideals of movement founders such as William Morris and John Ruskin, who proposed that in pre-industrial societies, such as the European Middle Ages, people had achieved fulfillment through the creative process of handicrafts. This was held up in contrast to what was perceived to be the alienating effects of industrial labor.
That`s all for history.
Nowadays selling handmade products offline and online is a business of its own. Direct sales, gift shops and public markets and fairs got a step up when few years back the handmade mania touched the online world.
Popular e shops like Etsy.com made the access to handcrafted products all too easy. And for the little artists of their own passion was a bliss. Now the carefully created products can be reached not only by the close by locals, but can be send on the other side of the world.
From wood work and vintage pieces revamping, to paper art, quilling and beads craft, you can find today anything and more you might think.
And the originality of handmade products can`t be denied it. There are almost as many variations on the theme of handicrafts as there are crafters with time on their hands
Now, what are the reasons to buy handmade products? Artists, designers and shop keepers provide reasons why one should buy handmade.
- buying from craftspeople is a conscious decision. people need to be more conscious of spending of where their hard-earned money is going, changing hands etc. this contributes to the bigger picture.
- it’s handmade, which means quality, and a whole lot of love!
- when you give a handmade gift it’s more like writing a letter to someone than giving them a newspaper gift-certificate.
- Price vs. value. If you buy your best friend a handmade journal instead of a mass produced one and spend twice the money, it’ll be worth every penny. Treasures are handmade with love and thought, not mass produced.
- You are supporting local artisans and craftspeople and not large big box stores.
- Many items are much more environmentally friendly since there is no use of large manufacturing machines, chemicals, labor (some of it probably illegal) and waste.
- You can be proud knowing that your supporting small businesses.
- You can be the first one of all your friends to discover a great designer.
Bottom line, summarize it: . -it’s unique, personal, well made, supports an artist, builds community, people appreciate handcrafted pieces, affordable.